This strawberry arugula salad uses the herbs like lettuce, and juices from the macerated strawberries actually create the dressing. Ready in less than 15 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure policy here.
We should treat herbs like they are lettuce more often. That's what makes this strawberry arugula salad so good. The herbs are not just a garnish or topping, they truly make the salad.
The "dressing" is actually the juices from the strawberries after they have macerated for a bit with honey (NO refined sugar - yay), lemon and a drizzle of good olive oil. The way these flavors come together is sweet, savory, bright, and umami all in one.
It's easy and so casual, like summer itself.
- Fresh strawberries
- Arugula: Baby arugula or wild arugula both work well.
- Basil: Get the freshest basil you can find (it's easy to grow yourself!) and never store it in the refrigerator - it will turn brown
- Fresh mint: Look for mint with dark green leaves that are perky, not wilted or wrinkled.
- Lemon zest and juice
- Olive oil and kosher salt
Adapted from Bon Appétit
Hull and slice strawberries.
Place strawberries in a bowl - I love my Pyrex bowls - then add lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey and allow to macerate for about 10 minutes or until juices are running out of the strawberries.
Place arugula in a large salad bowl.
Tear the basil and mint into smaller pieces (small leaves can remain whole). Toss herbs and arugula gently together with your hands.
Top the salad mixture with the strawberries, making sure to drizzle all of the juices over the greens. Drizzle the salad with some good quality olive oil, season with a pinch of sea salt and serve.
- This salad makes a perfect light side dish when you serve Slow Cooker Pulled Pork.
- Serve alongside Salt Baked Fish or a simple Roast Chicken.
- Vegan Strawberry Milkshake is made with coconut milk ice cream!
- Strawberries are great in cocktails like this Strawberry-Basil Prosecco Punch
Strawberry Arugula Salad with Basil and Mint
- 4 oz arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil lightly packed
- ½ cup fresh mint lightly packed
- 8 oz strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil to drizzle over salad
- sea salt
- Hull and slice strawberries and place them in a bowl.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and honey. Stir to combine and allow to macerate for 10 minutes, or until the juices are running from the strawberries.
- Place arugula in a large bowl. Tear the basil and mint into smaller pieces (small leaves can remain whole). Toss herbs and arugula gently together with your hands.
- Top the salad mixture with the strawberries, making sure to drizzle all of the juices over the greens. Drizzle the salad with some good quality olive oil, season with a pinch of sea salt and serve.