This chicken pot pie soup recipe is made without milk or cream, and tastes just like the delicious filling of a chicken pot pie. You can make it with rotisserie chicken or leftover roasted chicken for an easy weeknight meal.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure policy here.
This chicken pot pie soup is a quick and easy weeknight meal and it's dairy free! The cream-style corn acts as a thickener and makes this a hearty soup without needing milk or cream.
The key to this soup is the sweetness of the vegetables, contrasted with lots of cracked pepper that gives the hearty base a flavor reminiscent of chicken pot pie filling, without being so heavy you feel like you have to pour it over biscuits like gravy. (But if you happen to have some handy...)
Love hearty chicken soup recipes? Try my White Chicken Chili!
Ingredients for chicken pot pie soup
- Cooked chicken: One of the things that makes this chicken pot pie soup recipe so easy is that we are using pre-cooked chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken or some leftovers that you already have.
- Corn and cream-style corn: I like the sweetness from the corn, and that cream-style corn is going to be a great thickener with lots of added flavor.
- Yukon gold potatoes: Stick with the theme of a bit of sweetness and creaminess and use Yukon Golds instead of Russets.
- Carrots and onions: As any good soup base should.
- Freshly ground black pepper: This soup has a LOT of pepper! I love that flavor against the sweetness of the corn, but you can reduce if you prefer.
- Flour, chicken stock, olive oil, and salt: round out the ingredients for this dairy free soup!
How to make chicken pot pie soup
Step 1: Sweat the diced carrots and onions
In a deep soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat, then add chopped onions and carrots. Sweat until onions are translucent and aromatic.
Step 2: Add the flour and make the soup base
Add the seasoned flour mixture and stir constantly for about a minute. Add chicken stock and whisk until flour is combined.
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients and simmer
Add chicken, corn, cream-style corn and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Add more cracked pepper to taste and serve with crusty bread.
- I always recommend buying whole carrots and peeling and chopping them yourself. Pre-peeled baby carrots tend to dry out and don't always have much flavor. Whole carrots are cheaper and taste better and it really only takes 5 minutes to prep them.
- If you can't find creamed corn, you can purée some corn in the blender or food processor for a couple seconds to get that same thickening effect.
Chicken pot pie soup variations and substitutions
- To make the soup gluten free, you can substitute ¼ cup of corn starch in place of the flour. Make a slurry by mixing it with water and stirring until dissolved before adding it to the soup.
- Add different vegetables! Peas are a classic choice, you could swap red potatoes for the Yukon Golds, add spinach for something green, or even throw in some cubed butternut squash!
- Top chicken pot pie soup with fresh herbs like parsley or chives for brighter flavor.
Storage and reheating
- Storing: Store chicken pot pie soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: It will keep in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Cook over low heat to avoid scorching the flour. Add more chicken broth to loosen it up if it seems to thick.
More soup recipes
- We make Black-Eyed Pea Soup on New Year's Day to bring good luck and prosperity in the New Year. Super easy (and a great hangover cure!)
- I love Potato Cheese Soup on a cold and rainy weeknight because it cooks so fast.
- The French know how to clean out the winter cupboards in a delicious way. Soupe au Pistou is a great choice to welcome spring.
This quick and easy, chicken pot pie soup recipe is perfect for weeknights!
- Uses leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken so it's ready quickly—in about 45 minutes!
- You can make it in 3 easy steps!
- Thickened with flour for a creamy texture without using any dairy products.
- Canned creamed corn adds sweetness and also thickens the soup.
- Loaded with black pepper for a punch of flavor. (You can adjust if you like less.)
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- 12 oz chicken cooked and shredded, light or dark meat, or combination
- 6-8 Yukon Gold potatoes diced into ¼ inch cubes
- 4 carrots diced
- 1 onion white or yellow, diced
- 1 can corn (15-16 oz)
- 1 can cream-style corn (15-16 oz)
- ¾ cup flour seasoned with 1 tablespoon kosher salt and 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 7 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a deep soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat, then add onions and carrots. Sweat until onions are translucent and aromatic.
- Add the seasoned flour mixture and stir constantly for about a minute.
- Add chicken stock and whisk until flour is combined.
- Add chicken, corn, cream-style corn and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add more cracked pepper to taste and serve with crusty bread.