Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 people
This is a twist on the classic piperade recipe, or Piperade Baquaise. It uses red and yellow bell peppers and spicy chorizo in place of the ham. A perfect gluten-free option for your next brunch.
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil for the pan
- kosher salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
Coat an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add chorizo and cook until it begins to brown and get crispy, 5-10 minutes.
Add garlic, peppers and onions and cook until vegetables soften and begin to brown at the edges, about 15-20 minutes. Add a bit of salt to taste.
Add eggs to skillet, nestling them in with the peppers and sausage.
Heat the broiler and place skillet underneath until eggs until they are just past sunny-side up. Be sure to watch the skillet during this process as the broiler can cook things very quickly.
If you prefer, you can instead put these in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees until eggs are baked and just set. I like the broiler method because it doesn't heat the house and the cooking goes faster.
Remove skillet from the oven and season eggs with a bit of kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
Serve with toasted French bread and a fresh, green salad.
Tips and Tools
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full disclosure policy here.
- Use fresh chorizo for this recipe, not dried. You can find it in Mexican markets and usually at the butcher counter. If you can't find it, us a spicy Italian sausage instead.
- You're only going to need one oven-proof skillet for this recipe. But make sure it's a large, deep one, because this is a lot of peppers! A cast-iron skillet makes a nice presentation to go from oven to table.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 301mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2268IU | Vitamin C: 198mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg